backup a write-protected CD in Linux

Shawn Milo shawnmilo at runbox.com
Sun Sep 26 15:57:16 UTC 2004

Vinicius wrote:

>Em Sáb, 2004-09-25 às 23:21, Shawn Milo escreveu:
>

>>YigalB wrote:
>>

>>>I have a game which my kids love very much, run on XP. The company
>>>which made this CD is no longer alive, and the CD starts to be in bed
>>>shape – so I must back it up – the sooner is better.
>>>
>>>Is there a SW to do it under Fedora core? I know some utils under XP
>>>(clone CD, Nero etc).
>>>
>>>Oh yea – one more thing – the CD is protected – I guess it has some
>>>“bad sectors” or similar.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Yigal
>>>

>>I suggest trying dd. It is a simple command-line utility which will copy
>>a file byte by byte, and will not be fooled by "bad sector" problems.
>>
>>Syntax: dd bs=32 if=/dev/hdb of=/home/yourname/file.iso
>>
>>The "bs=32" tells it to read in 32 bytes and write out 32 bytes,
>>regardless of
>>the junk in those bytes. This will even allow you to make copies of
>>filesystems
>>your system does not understand.
>>
>>Shawn
>>

>"$ dd bs=32 if=/dev/cdrom1 of=FS2004_4.iso
>dd: lendo `/dev/cdrom1': Erro de entrada/saída
>48384+0 registros de entrada
>48384+0 registros de saída"
>
>"$ dd bs=32 if=/dev/hdd of=FS2004_4.iso
>dd: lendo `/dev/hdd': Erro de entrada/saída
>48384+0 registros de entrada
>48384+0 registros de saída"
>
>So the both cases shows me a file FS2004_4.iso with 1548288 bytes.
>
>"$ df
>/dev/hdd              630M  630M     0 100% /mnt/cdrom1"
>
>Is it right?

Well, try burning a CD from that ISO and  find out. I have had good
results with dd,
but perhaps there are copy protections that defeat dd's methods. If you
didn't make
a typo, and the ISO file is actually about 1.5 megabytes, then it's safe
to assume that
it didn't work.

Any suggestions from anyone else? Is there another parameter to dd, or
another free
Linux app which will do the job?

Shawn