I want to clean my hard disk

Markus Huber humarfedoralists at yahoo.de
Sun Sep 26 18:32:57 UTC 2004

Am So, den 26.09.2004 schrieb Arnaldo Bento um 20:17:
> Hello
>
> Another way of presenting this subject:
>
> - Clean = delete all files no necessary ex: Temporary files

I am not sure if this is necessary under Linux. My /tmp and /var/tmp
uses 3 MB altogether. Nothing compared to the size of a cache in a
browser.

So I am really not sure if Linux resp. Fedora needs a tweaking like
that.

And by changing configuration files in /etc it is very useful to have
older versions if you want to go back to a previous configuration.

Only /home/user/.thumbnails is using up some space, so that might be
worth a try (but I am not sure what is needed by gnome in the session).

> - Optimize = Defragmenter (already answered in an of the answers)
> unnecessary!!
>
> - Suitable program: Is there some program that makes what I intend?

After long years of using Windows-programs my experience with Linux and
Fedora is, that this system does not need that kind of tweaking and
twisting, because it is very efficient with its ressources. Mainly
because the architecture is completely different to the architecture of
a Windows system.

Regards,
Markus