ALSA installation issues.

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 21:08:11 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Then you do not have the ALSA kernel modules installed. The alsa utils
> are not the kernel modules. Are you sure you did build and install the
> ALSA kernel modules for the correct kernel?

W. Guy Thomas replied:
> According to the site I do not need to do this:
>
> There are two ways of getting Linux drivers to work, you can either
> compile them into the kernel or build them separately as modules. Read
> the Kernel-HOWTO for details of how to compile a kernel.

It sounds like you're getting confused by terminology. The Linux kernel
as supplied by Fedora (and practically every other distribution) comes
as one big "monolithic" kernel image, together with various kernel
modules that are linked into (= loaded into) the kernel. Once they're
loaded, they effectively are part of the kernel.

Those parts of the kernel code that are compiled as modules could
instead have been compiled into the main kernel image: this has various
advantages and disadvantages. To get the ALSA drivers there, you would
have to recompile the whole kernel.

You have chosen to use separate kernel modules. You still need to
compile, install, and load those modules.

You will *also* need to compile the user-mode utilities, which do not
run in kernel mode.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "I loved doing 'Midsomer Murders', but it got to the
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | point last year when there was no one left in