Comment on running Fedora on AMD 64

Andrew W. Donoho awd at DDG.com
Mon Sep 27 02:36:32 UTC 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 21:19, Stephen Liu wrote:

> H Andrew, Mathieu, Stephen and Axel,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> - snip -
>
>> 	I have an x86_64 system (Athlon 64 2800+, 1 GB
>> DDR400RAM) running FC2.
>> Things are working pretty well but I have a
>> persistent kernel panic
>> under load. I will probably upgrade to FC3 when
>> available to see if the
>> kernel changes fix the problem. You may want to wait
>> a bit...
>
> There is no urgent need for this upgrade and the PC
> concerned is for testing purpose, as workstation
> or/and server, not for production.  Actually AMD
> Athlon can do job.  But considering the life time of
> this upgrade I shed my eyes on AMD 64.

Stephen,

	Even though I expected to run into a "rough patch" here and there with
the Athlon 64, I would still make the purchase again. I, too, am
looking for the long term and expect this machine to replace one that
has been in service for the last five years. Since FC3 is imminent, I
expect that purchasing now has let me get over the 32-64 bit transition
for all of my "special" tools - in my case, netatalk.

Andrew

Andrew W. Donoho
awd at DDG.com, PGP Key ID: 0x81D0F250
+1 (512) 453-6652 (o), +1 (512) 750-7596 (m)