How to get SanDisk - Cruzer Mini USB Stick working

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 27 04:39:52 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 22:42, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> After a pile of searching I have done the following to get my new SanDisk
> usb stick going-
>
> nano -w /etc/modprobe.conf and added
> options scsi_mod max_scsi_luns=16
> to the bottom of the list
>
> nano -w /etc/updfstab.conf.default and added
> device cruzer {
>     partition 1
>     match hd Cruzer
> }
> to the bottom of the list
>
> did
> mkdir /mnt/cruzer
>
> and even
> chmod 777  /mnt/cruzer
>
> When I mount my /dev/sda1 to  /mnt/cruzer I can see a file already there
> from SanDisk - a win$#%@.exe type of file.
>
> df -h shows about 244 megs on the disk, but a normal user can not write to
> the device.  I get a nice access denied message.
>
> What must I do to get this stinkin thing working for any person?
>
> Oh, and with these entries, my Sony camera can't be accessed.
>
> Thanks  :-)
>
> Jim

In /etc/fstab you should put a line such as:
/dev/sda1 /mnt/cruzer     auto    noauto,users    0 0

where /dev/sda1 matches the device that is mapped to your cruzer, auto
(or specific filesystem type) is the filesystem type,  and /mnt/cruzer
is the mount point to be used. Make changes as appropriate.

This then should allow the individual user to mount/dismount it similar
to what is done for cdroms and give the user full ownership.