FC2 freezes from time to time

William Anderson william1 at highfiber.com
Mon Sep 27 05:09:13 UTC 2004

Hi all,

My experience with the OpenOffice spell checker is that it freezes
OpenOffice for several seconds the first time you check the spelling of
a word. This problem is much better in recent versions, and it never
froze the whole machine.

When checking a Linux system freeze, first check the disk activity
light. A system that is swapping big time can appear to freeze, but the
disk will be cranking like there was no tomorrow.

Next I always try accessing the frozen computer from another computer on
the network. Frequently, it is only X or an X application that is stuck.
If you can log in, try running top to see if anything is running using
most of the CPU cycles. Netscape used to do this to me, and killing the
runaway process would resolve the problem.

If it is X that is frozen and I can log in to the computer remotely, I
kill the X server process. After a few seconds, X comes back up to the
login prompt. Of course, any unsaved work is lost as all applications
running under that X session are killed along with the X server. You
could kill all of the applications that you are running before killing
the X server and hope that they save some kind of state that you can
recover from. This is useful to avoid hard crashing the computer and
risking corruption to the mounted file systems.

Of course, if the computer does not respond over the network, Something
bad has happened. Likely, there is a hardware conflict or maybe flaky
memory. My experience is that Linux in general and Fedora Core 2 is rock
solid and, on good hardware, can run for days, weeks, and months with no
trouble. I feel that x.org seems somewhat more likely to freeze then
XFree86 was, but not enough to be a major problem.

I hope that this helps

William