dual monitors in fedora?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Sep 27 15:11:03 UTC 2004

I have FC2 + KDE 3.2on a laptop (compaq presario 2197ca). The other night I
plugged my friend's 19" monitor into the monitor port on the back of the
laptop. Initially I got a signal that displayed the same image I was seeing
on the laptop screen.

After playing with KDE settings to try to get "dual head" action going on, the
monitor was turned off somehow. No matter what, it will not turn back on (no
signal at all gets to it in Fedora). Booting to WinXP causes it to come on
and it can be set to either normal mode (show the same image as on the laptop
screen) or to dual head mode (one desktop stretched across the 2 monitors).
But when I boot back to linux, again, the monitor refuses to receive a
signal.

Does anyone know where/how I can turn the monitor back on, even in normal,
single image mode, in linux? I don't care if it's a KDE or just a straight
linux solution.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com