power managment problems

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Mon Sep 27 16:32:35 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 21:28, Francisco Figueiredo Jr. wrote:
<snip>
> I would trust in the T42 light. My Gateway m350 also has its battery
> status sometimes incorrectly reported. Something like I have a fuly
> charged battery, as my notebook lights say me, but kdelaptop keeps
> saying me that battery is only 95% charged and doesn't change that
> whatever time I keep the ac pluged in. Later, if I reboot it says my
> battery is fully charged, other times it keeps saying me 95%. So I think
> it may be something with apm not being able to report correctly.
<snip>

I think your question is different....  Y'all are aware that most BIOSes
won't instruct the battery to recharge if it is "near" capacity, right?
So if the light is saying fully charged and apmd or acpi are reporting
more than like 95% capacity, there is no conflict, they are in sync and
apmd and acpi are reporting accurately....  If the capacity drops to low
90s or lower, then the little light will say charging and apmd and acpi
will report the lower number....

Now the earlier query did sound like a misreporting so is most likely a
bad BIOS/apmd interaction and, yes, I would believe the BIOS generated
light before the information produced by the application.

--Rob