ssh & port 22 problem

Mike McMullen mlm at loanprocessing.net
Mon Sep 27 17:58:25 UTC 2004

From: "Gerhard Magnus" <magnus at agora.rdrop.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 10:50 AM
Subject: ssh & port 22 problem

> Greetings!
>
> When I try to connect from a remote machine to my one at home
> using ssh I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 64.146.133.1 port
> 22: Connection refused" -- but using ssh in the outgoing direction (i.e.
> from home to the remote location) works fine.  Any suggestions as to how
> to troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Jerry

If you have a home router between your linux box and the net you
will need to configure it to forward port 22 to the IP address of your
linux box.

If not, you need to check that sshd is running on your system. You can
start it many ways. I use:

/etc/init.d/sshd start

Mostly because I've done it that way too many years to remember the other
ways. ;-)

You can make certain sshd starts at boot by using the following:

/usr/sbin/ntsysv and scrolling through the list to find sshd and typing a space
to make an asterisk appear. This shows that after you exit by tabbing to [Ok]
that the service will be started on reboot.

Hope this helps,

Mike