Choosing an approach to Fedora upgrades.

Craig cs007fc at wowway.com
Mon Sep 27 22:34:08 UTC 2004

Peter McDermott wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I've been reading the thread and thinking about how to partition my hard
> drive. Could you tell me if this is feasible (or if it even makes any
> sense):
>
> 80 gig hd
>    - hd0      ntfs        30 gig      - winxp (I know but I'm a newbie
> with linux)
>    - hd1      ext3       10 gig      - /home (to be shared between
> installed linux distros)
>    - hd2      ext3       20 gig      - / , fedora core 2
>    - hd3      ext3       20 gig      - / . fedora core 3 test 2
>
> I don't know about the size distrabution... should /home get 30 gig and
> hd2/3 get 10 gig each?
>
> Thanks

How about this instead:

80 gig hd
    - hd0    ntfs    30 gig    - winxp
    - hd1    fat     20 gig    - sharing
	(sharing for mp3/doc/etc. files)
    - hd2    ext3    75 meg    - /boot  (fc2 [chain linked])
    - hd3    ext3    75 meg    - /boot1 (fc3t2 boot sector)
    - hd4    swap    2x memory (absolutely necessary)
    - hd5    ext3     8 gig    - / , fedora core 2
    - hd6    ext3     8 gig    - / . fedora core 3 test 2
    - hd7    ext3    all that's left for /home

You need a swap and boot partition to run linux, especially with more than one
OS. If you're running two different versions of linux, it is easiest to acsses
them by chainlinking them (read fedorafaq.org, fedoranews.org or
fedoraform.org). You definitely don't need that much space for the main file
system (/).

---rant---
However, as a newbie, I would stick to fc2 only until you learn the ropes. Linux
isn't difficult, but it is definitively different from what you know as a
windows user. Once you know your way around the OS and know where/how to get
help/fix things. Only then are you ready to help by using the test versions.
While many people use the without incident, far more run into problems which
need fixing and without a basic idea of how the OS works, you can't provide the
info programmers need to debug or at least give them a vague idea of where to
start. I know some people (maybe a lot) don't agree with that, but I don't care.
I really, honestly believe you should become comfortable with and have a basic
understanding of linux before accepting the role of a "crash test dummy". OTOH,
if you have a good understanding of linux and believe in OSS, I believe it is
your duty to help with test releases. Doing so would be part of the mantra of
OSS, community-base development.
---rant---

I know I might get flamed for this, but I don't care.