FC2 hangs on install; need hardware help

Geoffrey Leach geoff at direcway.com
Mon Sep 27 23:21:23 UTC 2004

Firstly, this is _not_ a problem with FC2, as far as I can tell.  What
I'm asking for is input as to what hardware problem might be causing
the failure and/or how to diagnose it.

I'm attempting to resurrect an old system.  Configuration is a Pentium
Pro based MB with 128K memory.  There are two hard disks and a CD
reader, all SCSI.  The SCSI adapter is a BusLogic FlashPoint LW.
There are two SCSI buses, both terminated. The card is recognized and
its BIOS installed.

What I see when attempting to install FC2 (and FC1, RH9, RH8) is that
the boot screen comes up per usual, and the kernel and initrd files
load.  Then nothing; system hangs.

One further data point.  When I boot from a floppy (7.2, if that
matters) the kernel loads and goes into execution.  It panics because
its configured for another adapter, which has an old bus that's not
supported by the current MB.

All of these pieces have flown together at one point.

Any ideas on how I can diagnose this?