Change of Intel to AMD motherboard

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Sep 28 00:28:09 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-27 15:27, Jon Savage whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>>>you do mean that you swapped the motherboard, the processor, AND the
>>>heatsink and fan for something the K6-2 supports?
>>>
>>>How far through the boot does it get?
>>>

>>Can you configure the BIOS?
>>
>>You should see the memory test and the opportunity
>>to press 'del' to enter BIOS config....
>>
>>If you can get to the BIOS setup, what devices are listed in the 'boot
>>from' list.
>>
>>Can you boot the #1 install CDROM disc (or rescue)?
>>
>>If you cannot get to the BIOS setup it is not a Fedora
>>problem.
>>

>It sounds as if the OP moved the HDD w/ the working install from one
>system to another perhaps?
>If so that could be part of the problem although Linux is said to deal
>with that far better than say XP does.

If his Intel MB has a Pentium II CPU, that's an i686, and the
appropriate kernel code would have been installed.  But the AMD K6-2 is
an i586, I believe.

--
Fritz Whittington
Man is by nature a political animal. (Aristotle, Politics)