Choosing an approach to Fedora upgrades.

CB fedoralist at crispin.cb-ss.net
Tue Sep 28 02:53:52 UTC 2004

Thanks for all the replies. The problem as I see it for home machines
like mine is that being used for a wide variety of uses (officey stuff,
music listening and production, development, LDAP and file sharing
services etc), there are a large number of applications that gradually
get installed over a period of time. The thought of losing those and
having to reinstall everything is painful enough to deter upgrade
(again, I'm just assuming here that I do wish to upgrade). Within these
constraints I think my options narrow to:

- anaconda upgrade
- fresh install, with script that goes though a list of applications and
installs them, presumably using yum or apt.

The anaconda upgrade is certainly looking the simplest means (I don't
mind the extra time it takes). Can anyone comment on its reliability in
general?