Upgrade Questions (Newbie)

Joey Kelley joey at rrnne.net
Tue Sep 28 05:04:08 UTC 2004

Hello All,
         Thanks to all who weighed in on this - I appreciate the comments.
         As my signature says, I am most definately a Fedora Newbie. To put it
another way, the last time I used any Linux version was almost two years ago,
and it was RH 7.2, after 8.0 had already come out. (Was for a class, had to use
what was provided)
         My primary machine at the moment is a XP Pro box, and I have a second
XP pro box for auxilary applications, such as downloading. My primary is
essentially a web, game, and photo editing machine. I also edit and update my
website from it.
         Because the only thing I have yet to do on my Fedora box is to surf the
web, IRC with people, and play a couple of CDs, I have very few programs
actually installed.
         This, combined with the opinion of a couple of others, has lead me to
the decision of going with FC3 when it is released, and simply wiping my FC1
machine.
         At the moment, I am using FC1 to try to gain knowledge of Linux, and
how it can be brought to integration with Windows networks. I want to be able
to take one of my customers' low end machines that their kids just want to use
for instant messenger, Internet, and music use, and put a version of Linux
(preferrably Fedora) on it. This would allow me to put low-end (sometimes
extremely low end, you folks would be surprised what an independant computer
tech finds people using) back on the web, and to good use. The problem is
simply that it must be a GUI, not necessarily windows, but must be easily used.
It must also work flawlessly, and not need to be constantly updated and
modified. Thats my vision, and I'm hoping we'll get there.
         I'm getting off my soap box now! :-)
         cya, Joey

--Joey Kelley, Fedora Newbie--
"If David beat Goliath, Linux