APT upgrade from local location

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Sep 28 09:41:04 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 28.09.2004 schrieb SANS um 8:14:

Please do not reply to existing list mails while you want to start a new
topic. You certainly don't know. Your action is called "thread
hijacking" and is caused by misleading references in the mail header to
the thread with subject "Does 'yum search' work?" which is obviously
absolutely unrelated to your questions.

> I have about 12 PCs running RH7.3 which where
> customized <unwanted rpms removed & things like that>.
>
> I now wish to upgrade these RH7.3s to FC2.

You better do an upgrade using the CDs and avoid an online upgrade. From
RH7.3 to FC2 is a big step and saying that you have "customized" systems
makes it another argument to go the anaconda way of upgrading.

> If I use APT on all RH7.3s to upgrade each PC will use
> a lot of internet bandwidth, which is expensive.
>
> I was thninking of dumping all the rpms from 4 CDs of
> FC2 on the local /var/www/html/LoCaL, and then define
> http://127.0.0.1/LoCaL in atp config files as source.
>
> Would this work as simply as I think ?

I would think the risk of a heavily unusable system with a lot of work
to repair it is big.

> Sans

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 11:36:28 up 7 days, 13:40, load average: 1.74, 1.77, 1.76