ssh & port 22 problem

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Tue Sep 28 18:50:07 UTC 2004

On Mon 27 September 2004 18:50, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Greetings!
>
>  When I try to connect from a remote machine to my one at home
> using ssh I get the error message "ssh: connect to host 64.146.133.1 port
> 22: Connection refused" -- but using ssh in the outgoing direction (i.e.
> from home to the remote location) works fine.  Any suggestions as to how
> to troubleshoot this?
nmap 64.146.133.1
Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2004-09-28 19:43 BST
Interesting ports on 64-146-133-1-dslclient.saw.net (64.146.133.1):
(The 1650 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
PORT      STATE    SERVICE
23/tcp    open     telnet
135/tcp   filtered msrpc
137/tcp   filtered netbios-ns
138/tcp   filtered netbios-dgm
139/tcp   filtered netbios-ssn
445/tcp   filtered microsoft-ds
2049/tcp  filtered nfs
12345/tcp filtered NetBus
31337/tcp filtered Elite

no ssh port seen there - this suggests a few things:
1) you don't have sshd running:
 service sshd status
will tell you if this si the case
 chkconfig sshd on
 service sshd start
will make sure that it is on in future
2) your ISP has closed the ports at their end.
 talk to _them_ about this.
you do have the telnet port open (but someone else has already tried this
one).

Stuart

--
Stuart Sears RHCE, RHCX