boot fedora core 2 from floppy

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Sep 28 20:13:34 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-28 14:00, Paul Howarth whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 19:45, Christopher Taylor wrote:
>

>>I am having problems dual booting my XP and fedora.  The HP computer has a
>>hidden partition on the main drive which screws up any boot loader I've
>>tried causing me to have to reformat the drive and re-install xp.  Is
>>there a way to istall the bootloader on floppy or cd and boot from there?
>>

>Better method:
>
>1. Install XP as normal.
>2. Install FC2 and set up grub as the bootloader, installed in your root
>or boot partition rather than the MBR.
>3. Use bootpart (http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm) to add an entry
>to the XP boot loader menu to start grub from the appropriate partition.
>
>I've never had a problem with this method.
>
>Paul.

Probably something similar, but if you install GRUB on the /boot
*partition* instead of the MBR, then you can use dd to copy the boot
sector from that partition to an MSDOS file on your C: drive (say
C:\linux.bin), then edit your boot.ini file to something like:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Maintenance Boot" /fastdetect
c:\linux.bin="Linux"

This gives you your normal Windows boot menu, but if you choose "Linux"
then it passes the boot on to load GRUB.

--
Fritz Whittington
Force without wisdom falls of its own weight. (Horace, Odes)