How to get cdrecord working in FC2?

Filippos Klironomos PresarioD at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 13:17:05 UTC 2004

> sg                     28513  0
> scsi_mod              105360  1 sg

There is your problem right there! 'sg' is the generic SCSI module and
scsi_mod is the front end of it or something, read Documentation/cdrom
or scsi for more.

So what you can try as root is:

rmmod scsi_mod
rmmod sg

the do an lsmod again to make sure that they are gone. Notice that you
don't even have ide-cd loaded which is the responsible one to give you
ATAPI access.

Now do:

modprobe ide-cd

and then lsmod to see what happened. What is puzzling though is how
are these SCSI related modules loaded up since you don't have them in
your modprobe.conf and as kernel command line arguments.

Maybe the boot process loads them up? Anyway. If all of the above have
worked you should have ATAPI access now to your CD drive. Do a
typical:

cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI

to see it. Let me know if this works. If it does then all we have to
do is find out who and why loads the SCSI modules in your system,
prevent that and you should be set to go! :-)