Fedora Core 3 Test 2 Questions

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Sep 29 13:20:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:11 -0500, cajun wrote:
> Morning Everyone,
>
> Well I figure I had better take the plunge before this thing gets to far
> ahead of me.  Anyways I have a couple of questions:
>
> Running RH9 on Dell PowerEdge 1600SC
>
> I am getting ready to install FedoraCore3 Test2 and was wondering if
> anyone can give me some pointers:
>
> 1.  Should I do this as a fresh install or do an upgrade?  Would I run
> into less troubles by doing a fresh install?

I believe you will have a much easier time doing a fresh install between
Redhat x and Fedora Core x, Fedora Core X to Fedora Core X+x is meant to
be fairly smooth.

> 2.  I remember when I installed RH9 the first time I had some troubles
> getting DSL up and running.  Is getting DSL up and running a little
> easier in FC3T2 or will I need to use a third party pppoe like I did in RH9?

I think you'll have to give a bit more details about your setup, however
I believe PPPoE should be fairly easy to get up and running.

> 3.  Would it be better to get FC2 and waiting for the finial release of FC3?
Considering how long you have waited so far, if I was you I'd probably
wait untill FC3 final, as apposed to the hassle of going to FC2 and then
up to FC3.

I would avoid using a test release on a production system (or at least a
test release that you upgrade) as you could quite easily find your
system being messed up (eg file system problems with test kernels a few
weeks ago!).

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator