Fedora Core 3 Test 2 Questions

cajun cajunlee at alltel.net
Wed Sep 29 14:47:03 UTC 2004

Douglas Furlong wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 08:11 -0500, cajun wrote:
>

>>Morning Everyone,
>>
>>Well I figure I had better take the plunge before this thing gets to far
>>ahead of me.  Anyways I have a couple of questions:
>>
>>Running RH9 on Dell PowerEdge 1600SC
>>
>>I am getting ready to install FedoraCore3 Test2 and was wondering if
>>anyone can give me some pointers:
>>
>>1.  Should I do this as a fresh install or do an upgrade?  Would I run
>>into less troubles by doing a fresh install?
>>

>I believe you will have a much easier time doing a fresh install between
>Redhat x and Fedora Core x, Fedora Core X to Fedora Core X+x is meant to
>be fairly smooth.
>

>>2.  I remember when I installed RH9 the first time I had some troubles
>>getting DSL up and running.  Is getting DSL up and running a little
>>easier in FC3T2 or will I need to use a third party pppoe like I did in RH9?
>>

>I think you'll have to give a bit more details about your setup, however
>I believe PPPoE should be fairly easy to get up and running.
>

>>3.  Would it be better to get FC2 and waiting for the finial release of FC3?
>>

>Considering how long you have waited so far, if I was you I'd probably
>wait untill FC3 final, as apposed to the hassle of going to FC2 and then
>up to FC3.
>
>I would avoid using a test release on a production system (or at least a
>test release that you upgrade) as you could quite easily find your
>system being messed up (eg file system problems with test kernels a few
>weeks ago!).

Thanks Douglas for the info.  I went out early to the list for FC3T2 and
looked through some of the e-mails that were out there, and I think I
will take your advise and just hold off.  This server is really not that
critical.  I use this at home, but I guess my kids would think that it
was critical, especially if they lost their connection to the net. haha!!!

Thanks again!!

Lee Perez