character encoding: Windows XP vs Linux

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 29 22:57:09 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:06:55PM -0400, Jean Morissette wrote:
> When I transfert files from my girlfriend Windows XP computer to my
> Linux FC2 computer, I cannot read the files names properly from my
> Linux.

How are you transferring the files?
What is the language setting in WinXP?

>  Specials chacarters like é à è are remplaced with a white space.
>  Can you help me or do I have to change my girlfriend? ;-)

> PS: My variable $LANG is equal to fr_CA.UTF-8.

Since locale can be application sensitive what application
are you using to look at the file names after the transfer.

One possible hint in discovering what WinXP is doing
is to look at mail headers on mail from her.
For example your mail has these headers:

Also encoding can be application specific.  What application is
creating the file names on her side.  You have $LANG is equal to
fr_CA.UTF-8 but mozilla is using ISO-8859-1.  It is possible to do
equivalent mixed language things on the Win side of things.

Perhaps an example of what you are seeing and how you are seeing
it....

PS:
Do not even hint to her what you said here.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.