gnome/gui applets don't work after using changing network parameters

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Sep 30 07:26:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 14:13 -0700, Basil Copeland wrote:
> I don't know if this is a gnome issue or not, but it
> has been around since at least RH 9, and I now see it
> still in Fedora Core 2.

Yes it is.

> If one edits network parameters using the gui applet
> (system-network-config?), the desktop basically stops
> working afterwards, and no gui applets open from the
> menu until the system is restarted.

As far as I can tell there is only one parameter that makes the system
screwy, and that is changing it's localhost/loopback hostname.

> I thought it was a quirk of RH 9, or perhaps the
> version of gnome RH 9 uses, but I now see exactly the
> same behaviour in Fedora Core 2, which I just installed
> for the first time.
>
> I'm surprised that this behaviour still persists, after
> all the water that has passed under the bridge since
> RH 9.
>
> What's going on?  Is there a user fix?

From rom what I can tell, GNOME uses TCP/hostname for a lot of it's work, it
picks up this hostname at logon, if you then change the hostname and
then it can no longer send the details to itself. If that makes sense.

It's best to avoid changing the systems hostname, unless you intend to
logout/reboot :)

--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator