character encoding: Windows XP vs Linux

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 30 11:37:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 07:40:51PM -0400, Jean Morissette wrote:

> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
> >On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 06:06:55PM -0400, Jean Morissette wrote:
> >
> >>When I transfert files from my girlfriend Windows XP computer to my
> >>Linux FC2 computer, I cannot read the files names properly from my
> >>Linux.
> >

> Here is a example: A file named originally "Résumé synthèse.doc" on
> WinXP machine appear "R sum  synth se.doc" on Linux.

Try
    "stat Résumé synthèse.doc R sum  synth se.doc"
and
    "stat Résumé synthèse.doc R sum  synth se.doc" | od -xc

I am curious if the spaces are realy spaces.  A step in the transfer
process might cause them to be translated and I cannot tell if it is
on the Linux side or the Win side yet.

A couple weeks back there was a discussion on ftp with regard to text
and binary transfers and where some translation were done. Make sure
the ftp transfer uses binary.  Also find a windows binary for
Putty (ssh for Win). Use pscp  to move files.  Any one traveling should
have a cdrom with putty handy on it.

... also what filesystem was on the USBkey and what filesystem type
was detected and used by mount.  There is some file name munging on
fat (hint try vfat before msdos) and see mount options.

See relaxed in the mount man page, under fat....

check=value
     Three different levels of pickyness can be chosen:

     r[elaxed]
          Upper and lower case are accepted  and  equivalent,  long
          name   parts  are  truncated  (e.g.   verylongname.foobar
          becomes verylong.foo), leading and  embedded  spaces  are
          accepted in each name part (name and extension).

     n[ormal]
          Like  "relaxed",  but  many  special characters (*, ?, <,
          spaces, etc.) are rejected.  This is the default.

     s[trict]
          Like "normal", but names may not contain long  parts  and
          special  characters that are sometimes used on Linux, but
          are not accepted by MS-DOS are rejected. (+,  =,  spaces,
          etc.)

Of interest the USBkey can be dumped with dd and the bits inspected
with od.   We should see what bits are on the device if possible.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Me, I would "Rather" Not.