NFS mounting... bypass portmap

Dan Vietor devo at ks.unisys.com
Thu Sep 30 22:51:57 UTC 2004

I am trying to mount a NFS partition across a router that has port 111
(TCP) blocked.  In Fedora 1 and other RedHat releases, I could use the
mountport=### in the mount options to bypass portmap and mount the
partition.  In Fedora 2, this option seems to be disabled.

When I use ethereal to check what's going on, I see a TCP request to
sunrpc (port 111 or portmap) and a return from the router "ICMP no route
to host" and then the mount fails.  It actually backgrounds the mount
process and hangs there.

Is there any way with the FC2 mount command to bypass the portmapper and
specify the port that mountd is running on so I can mount the partition?

Daniel Vietor               Mail: devo at ks.unisys.com
Unisys Corp                 Title: Engineer/Meteorologist
221 Gale Lane               Phone: 610-925-5206
Kennett Square PA 19348     Fax: 610-925-5215