up2date header files

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 1 02:22:32 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 01.04.2005 schrieb Jim Cornette um 0:55:
>

>>I clean out the files periodically. It doesn't seem to mess things up
>>for me. I believe headers for avalable programs that are not yet
>>installed will be the bulk of headers that will reappear with time. The
>>rpms are removed by the default setting.
>>
>>Jim
>

> Yes,  the header files are refetched once you run up2date the next time.
> But that can take some time and I remember many users complaining about
> that fact how up2date behaves.
>
> Alexander

Out of curiousity I checked how many header files are in
/var/spool/up2date and found that there are only 9 remaining headers
within the directory. I assume that rpms installed already are not
fetched since they are within the rpm database already.
It looks like up2date probably should remove headers from preceeding
versions of packages already installed onto the system. I haven't
checked out the sourcecode but have noticed that there is a lot of
redundant older headers in this directory from earlier installs.
Sometimes there are several stepped down versions for the same package
within the directory. This is the reason that I periodically clean out
the cache. Sometimes there gets to accumulate so many headers within
this directory that rm -rf within this directory won't delete all of the
headers within this directory.

I guess up2date ought to clean out the headers periodically to save disk
space on its own.

Jim

--
Stability itself is nothing else than a more sluggish motion.