Ghost 2003 and FC 3

RL rlurman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 03:28:02 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005 10:21 PM, Michael D. Setzer II <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> On 31 Mar 2005 at 21:44, RL wrote:
>
> Date sent:              Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:44:16 -0500
> From:                   RL <rlurman at gmail.com>
> To:                     For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject:                Ghost 2003 and FC 3
> Send reply to:          RL <rlurman at gmail.com>,
>         For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>         <mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>
>
> > I just got a DVD writer for my FC 3 machine so I could ghost the
> > entire drive.  I have Norton Ghost 2003.  I remember having no
> > problems ghosting other Linux distros.  When I try to ghost this time,
> > however, it errors at the start with a read sector failure.  Is this a
> > known issue? Ghost 2003 should work with ext3 filesystems just fine.
> > Are there any other good ghosting progs?  I have used "g4u" with
> > FreeBSD and it is real nice; however, I'd rather have something to
> > backup an entire hard-drive right on to a DVD.
> >
> > --
>
> This is a know problem with Norton Ghost. It gets an error with the
> FC3 partitions. It does work if you have it do the sector mode image,
> but then it is copying all sectors of the disk, and is much slower and
> creates a larger file.
>
> Both G4U and G4L have no problem with the imaging of the
> systems, but neither currently allows for DVD imaging.
>
> > fedora-list mailing list
> > fedora-list at redhat.com

>   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
>   Guam Community College  Computer Center
>   mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
>   mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
>   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
>   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
>
> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
> Number of Seti Units Returned:  16,039
> Processing time:  30 years, 186 days,  1 hours,  9 minutes
> (Total Hours: 267,265)

What's different with the FC3 partitions than other Linux distros that
use ext3?  With g4u, you can actually put it on a DVD/CD.  With Fbsd
when I was playing with it, I would set up a small FTP server on my XP
machine and the large files would end up there.  I would then just
copy it to a CD/DVD.  If it was bigger than a DVD, I would use a
program to split it.