problem accessing ftp from the browser

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 1 12:15:02 UTC 2005

Olga Urban wrote:
>>>I have vsftpd running on Fedora 2. I tried to access my account by
>>>typing ftp://mywebsite.com <ftp://mywebsite.com/> in the browser at
>>>work. And it worked fine (prompted me for username and password and
>>>when I logged in, displayed a list of folders). I can't seem to do it
>>
>>>from home though. I can do it by using ftp client, but not from the
>>
>>>browser. I get the following error:
>>>
>>>"An error occurred opening that folder on the FTP Server. Make sure
>>>you have permission to access that folder.
>>>
>>>Details:
>>>
>>>200 Switching to ASCII mode.
>>>
>>>550 Permission denied."
>>>
>>>Can someone tell me please why this is happening? Thanks a lot.
>>>
>>>Olga
>>>

>>What browser were you trying to use?
>>
>>I use IE (version 6).
>>

> try ftp://user@mywebsite.com/ or ftp://user:password@mywebsite.com/.
>
> I still get the same error. I tried on Mozilla too. I get the following
> error: "530: Login incorrect" I know username and password are not the
> issue.

This problem is related to some module that needs to be loaded
ip_contracks or something. Alexander explained this earlier about how to
setup certain files to correctly deal with this. You might browse the
archives to get the explanation and setup.

I think this should just work. It does not however.

What I do when not connected to the outside world and only going to a
local machine is to type
service iptables stop
I do my ftp transfers, then run
service iptables start
to reactivate the firewall.

If this does not allow you to connect to the ftp server, check your
/var/log/messages file for errors related to avc. It might be SELinux
related if there are avc messages in the log.

Reqarding ftp and its need for adding special rules. I have changed over
to using samba for transferring files from Windows to Linux. Again, you
need to manually add rules to your firewall for ports 137,138,139 and
445. This information is in the archives also.

Jim

--
Copying machine, n.:
	A device that shreds paper, flashes mysteriously coded messages,