top posting, HTML posting and "the closer"

Chris Jones linux at stow-jones.co.uk
Fri Apr 1 18:19:35 UTC 2005

Janton wrote:

> 	It is my opinion that people using this list should initially
> observe the way the list works. If it is unsatisfactory, a discussion like
> this may change it. Blatant disregard will only mess things up.
> 	In cases like this, I think the will of the one must bow for the
> will of the many. If this is a problem; find another tool or make one
> yourself.

I was taught by some unknown person at the dawn of the internet - I was
using Compuserve sometime in 1995 - that one should "lurk" in a
particular newsgroup for a while before posting anything to the group.
This was to ensure that one got a feel for how that newsgroup community
preferred to use the group. I have always adopted that lesson with every
subsequent newsgroup that I have subscribed to since (other than
Micro$..te ones of course).

--
Chris Jones
mailto:chris at stow-jones.co.uk
SAS gives the power to know your data...