Trouble setting up an HP Deskjet 9300 on USB

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Apr 1 18:44:22 UTC 2005

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

>Hi!
>
>For some reason, I am not having any success at setting up an HP Deskjet
>9300 on USB for my FC3 notebook. CUPS allows me to select a "ptal" port
>which I've never seen before, or parallel. I have not tried parallel,
>although I will later just to make sure the thing works.
>
>My FC3 notebook is able to use USB memory sticks just fine, but I am
>having no success in getting this USB printer configured. Searches using
>Google, MARC, and linuxprinting.org are getting me nowhere.
>
>Anyone have pointers to other docs I should read, or hints in setting
>this printer up properly?
>
>Cheers,

Rodolfo, I run FC2 so my experience may not sync with your FC3
installation.  If CUPS is indicating you have a "ptal" port, you
probably have the hpoj driver installed.  I use that driver to operate
an HP d135 multifunction printer connected to the system through an USB
connection.  Using the CUPS web administration tool, I added/selected
the ptal printer and then accepted the only option presented for
specific printer driver.  That worked but print quality was pretty poor
and I used printconf (Red Hat icon --> System Settings --> Printing -->
printer selection which in my case (and likely yours as well) installed
the hpijs printer driver.

Hope that helps.