screen flashing to black every several seconds

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Apr 2 12:56:21 UTC 2005

Jim Cornette wrote:

> Claude Jones wrote:
>
>> Jim Cornette wrote:
>>  >

>>> Download all the xorg related rpms into a local directory and then
>>> run the command below from within this directory where you placed
>>> the rpms.
>>>
>>> rpm -Uvh *.rpm --oldpackage
>>>
>>> while you are root and preferably you are out of X and in a
>>> terminal. This should replace the new packages with the older
>>> versions. If you find that there are additional programs/libraries
>>> that also need to be rolled back, place these rpms within this
>>> directory and repeat the command above again.
>>>
>>> I would *not* advice rpm -e or yum erase for going back in X
>>> versioning.
>>>

>> I have spent the better part of this day trying to understand how to
>> do this without damaging my system. I learned much, but I was still
>> far from feeling confident about trying something. Thank you for
>> these instructions...
>>

> One added note regarding this procedure. It might be wise to do an
> rpm -qa |grep xorg
> To see which rpms that are currently installed on the system. The
> reason is that the U means that any package installed or not will be
> upgraded/installed. The F (freshen) option did not seem to work for me
> when trying to downgrade with --oldpackage option to rpm.
>
> The procedure worked for several that tried this to downgrade xorg-x11
> packages when a major failure hit us on testing FC3 to be.
>
> It is safer than removing x packages via rpm -e and does not remove
> your desktop managers like yum erase xorg-x11 would do.
>
> Jim

Jim: Just to let you know that this worked perfectly! It would seem that
there is a concatenated series of actions that led to this mess. The
first was the installation of the Radeon driver from ATI. This was
followed by the application of xorg-x11-6.8.2. I've now rolled back the
process by first removing the Radeon/ATI driver, and then by rolling
back xorg. During the removal of the ATI driver, I got a message about a
conflict between that driver and something on my system which I
unfortunately didn't write down. So, my question is, do you think I
should try reinstalling the xorg update now that the system is working
again?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA