allowing passive FTP from the outside

Justin Zygmont jzygmont at solarflow.net
Sun Apr 3 04:42:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Markku Kolkka wrote:

> Justin Zygmont kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 3.
> huhtikuuta 2005 00:33):
>> are you sure ftp_conntrack is even needed?  I thought that's
>> usually used just for stateful routing through a server, and
>> not to connect to one from the outside.
>
> No, that's a different module: ip_nat_ftp. The ip_conntrack_ftp
> module is required for the ESTABLISHED,RELATED rule to work for
> incoming FTP connections.

I don't see how that can be, because when I stop iptables it also unloads
ftp_conntrack, and even ip_conntrack.  I can get a ftp listing with
iptables is off and those modules unloaded.  here's what I have
loaded, and it works until I restart iptables.

Module                  Size  Used by
nfsd                  184033  2
exportfs                7745  1 nfsd
lockd                  58089  2 nfsd
md5                     4033  1
ipv6                  231425  20
i2c_dev                10433  0
i2c_core               20801  1 i2c_dev
sunrpc                156197  19 nfsd,lockd
dm_mod                 55509  0
8139too                26433  0
mii                     4673  1 8139too
tulip                  48353  0