Grub drive assignments

John Austin ja at jaa.org.uk
Sun Apr 3 12:47:48 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 08:04 -0400, David Niemi wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-03-04 at 12:32 +0100, John Austin wrote:

> > Hi,
> > 	Not totally convinced that FC3 uses same as BIO.
> > FC4T1 does during install.
> > Don't trust were FC4T1 is going to write grub stuff during install !!!!
> > The best way I have found to be really sure what grub thinks
> > both during both install and booting (they may not be the same)
> > Use cat (hdTAB to find the devices and files
> > eg
> > cat (hd0,0)/test_file
> >
> > where test_file is different on each drive !!!!
>
> I do not have the other hard drives mounted, haven't gotten that far yet
> in installing stuff, getting ntfs reads enabled, etc so this isn't going
> to work(?).  I'll get on this anyway.
>
> Is there any command from within Grub to list the drives, other than
> just using hit and miss with grub.conf changing the hd1 to others?

Hi,
Go interactive with grub
ie type c to go into command mode during booting

During install I have been selecting Install No Boot Loader
and then rebooting to linux rescue and sorting out grub
at this stage.

I have a nearly finished the document but it has not been thoroughly
proof read, but it may be useful. I take no responsibility !!!!
Any feedback welcome !!!!

I'm not sure whether attachments are allowed but I've added it
to see. See below !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
John

Reply with attachment seemed to fail