Need LVM help.

Markku Kolkka markkuk at tuubi.net
Sun Apr 3 15:19:10 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika sunnuntai, 3. huhtikuuta 2005 13:06):
> What we would like to do is combine /dev/hda3 and /hdb1 into a
> logical volume. Does that make sense as a goal?

No. You create a volume group that combines the physical volumes hda3 and
hdb1. Then you make a logical volume, and LVM takes care of allocating
space for it from the volume group.

> I assume that
> the Logical Volume could be mounted at /

Yes.

> Now the real questions?
> /dev/hda3 and /dev/hdb1 have been set to type 8e by disk
> druid.
>
> 1. How does the reference to the Logical volume appear in
> grub.conf? Does the device.map deal with this?

It appears only on the kernel command line, where you define the logical
volume containing the root filesystem, e.g.
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

> 2. How does the reference to the logical volume appear in
> fstab?
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /      ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 /home	ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol02 /tmp   ext3    defaults        1 2

etc.

> 3. Can the Fedora 3 rescue disk deal with a system with this
> structure? Can it mount the Logical Volume?

I haven't tried it, but as LVM is the default in FC3 it definetly should.

> Again how do I
> refer to it in the mount arguments?

Just give the logical volume reference instead of the partition.

--
 Markku Kolkka
 markku.kolkka at iki.fi