[FC3] Sites 'disappearing' from DNS

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sun Apr 3 21:31:20 UTC 2005

    I've been seeing a problem growing a little over time.  It's odd,
and I have no idea what's wrong- maybe someone has an idea (or at least
a better idea about DNS than I).

    I have a machine that relies on another to do the DNS for my home;
the one on the ISP seems unable to figure out perl.org, so I had to make
my own.  Following instructions years ago, I created a DNS machine and
it's been fine since then without touching it.

    But every once in a while I get a link to a site and firefox just
gives me "jobsearch.monster.com" not found.  I can run 'host' from the
same machine and it nails it.  I can run it from my DNS machine, and it
nails it again, in a flash.

    Just now I went to 'hardware.slashdot.org' (just like a couple of
days ago) and it didn't find it.

    Is there a chance that firefox does something different? I don't
want to fill up my /etc/hosts with every site it decides not to find...

    Thanks
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller