FC3-font issue

P Jones deerfieldtech at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 23:15:34 UTC 2005

> I am a teacher and have a lot of slides developed in OO while using FC2.
> I upgraded my home machine to FC3 and all text in slides is different:
> interspacing is bigger and text falls off the slide. At work I still
> have FC2 and it is ok. I can project, any new thing I do is not
> portable, or have to re-edit dozens of slides!!! My work is jeopardized.
> I have not found a way to configure this, Is there one?
> FC3 OO version: 1.1.2 but also 1.1.3 , kernel 2.6.10-1.770
> FC2 OO version 1.1.2 same kernel
> Its the same file, created under OO Impress, with Nimbus Roman 9 ,
> single interspace as main font. Also happens with others like Avant
> Garde, New Roman etc.
> And it is not only one but all files: other people files too. Just
> opening it in a machine with FC2 (this one at work) and another with FC3
> (my laptop or home) and there you go: interspacing at more than 100%
> (132% or so if I remember well): All text boxes all text slides
> everything overflows all margins.
> Of course, the material I'm talking about is a live material and if my
> editing tool is OO, ....I am thinking about retiring FC3 and re-install
> FC2.. Unless someone comes up with a solution, I just can't afford to
> invest hours and hours to arrange formatting, what will happen in FC4 ?
> There has to be something somewhere to configure it!!
> Thanks for any comments!
> --
> Virginia Escuder Cabañas

Hi Virginia;

I've redirected your email to the list. I had a noticeable problem
with OOo in FC3 as well. Spacing around the default font, which I
believe to be Luxi Sans, is significantly different than it was in FC2
and FC1. For some bizarre reason, and I've repeated this on three
different machines, much of the problem goes away if you use GNOME as
your desktop. XFCE doesn't suffer from the problem either. In KDE,
font spacing in the menus and the applications is bad.

What I've done to get around the problem is to switch to GNOME, which
I find very tolerable in FC3, and in Ubuntu Hoary, which has GNOME
2.10, it's become my favorite desktop. Then, as much as I like the
Luxi fonts for interface fonts, I've switched to the Bitstream Vera
fonts for interface. Vera Sans is a lot wider than Luxi Sans, but very
readable at small font sizes (I like 8 pt. for my desktop and web
browsing default size).

I recall some thread somewhere mentioning that the Luxi font's spacing
had in fact changed, so it wasn't a Fedora issue so much as an
upstream issue, but I could be completely wrong there.

Anyway, try switching to GNOME and then open your OOo documents from
there. Does the problem go away?

By the way, the other issue I had was that installing the MS Web Fonts
caused OOo to consider Arial to be the default font. Not sure why that
happened either. So I uninstalled them and the problem went away. I
had no font issues on FC1, and I don't know what has changed, but I'm
going to jump into the FC4 beta cycle with the next test release, and
hopefully things will be better.

-P