segmentation violation on boot

Rob Kirkbride rob.kirkbride at thales-is.com
Mon Apr 4 09:03:03 UTC 2005

Shawn wrote on 04/04/2005 09:57:

>>>on boot I get
>>>segmentation violation 0x24e3d4 sleeping for 30 seconds
>>>is this likely disk failure?
>>>

>>Sounds very much like memory problems (just having had them myself).
>>Boot into memtest from knoppix.
>>

> well, it is dual-boot and windows works fine.
>
>they are completely different disks though

Ah, you didn't mention Windows was on there and working fine. In which
case - could be the disk. I'd still check the memory - did it previously
work fine and it's suddenly started failing, or have you just installed
Fedora?

It could be the file system is trashed for whatever reason - I wouldn't
try and boot it again if thats the case. I'd use Knoppix and copy off
anything you might want before you try and fsck the filesystem again.

Rob