missing dependency php

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Apr 4 14:58:53 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 23:26 -0500, micheal wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> This is why I like smart so well, Its is not a perfect pm, but it is
> very full featured.
> >
> > Her problem is that she cannot solve dependency issues because there are
> > multiple versions of the same package - in this case openoffice, system-
> > config-printer and previously, it was php which we solved. Obviously,
> > yum would be able to solve & install dependent packages if this problem
> > didn't exist and the addition of another overlay program like apt is
> > going to have the same problem. This isn't a yum problem - this is a
> > problem with the base of rpm packages that are already installed on this
> > system.
> >

> So I decided to break my system a little to show what it can do.
>
> This is my initial output of rpm -qa |grep php
>
> [micheal at Fedora3 ~]$ rpm -qa |grep php
> php-pgsql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-ldap-4.3.10-3.2
> php-mysql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-pear-4.3.10-3.2
> php-odbc-4.3.10-3.2
> php-4.3.10-3.2
> php-gd-4.3.10-3.2
>
> Let me try to install an older version of php-ldap, for whatever reason,
> and I install it --force --nodeps.
>
> Children do not try this at home
>
> [root at Fedora3 micheal]# rpm -i --force --nodeps /home/micheal/php-
> ldap-4.3.9-3.i386.rpm
> [root at Fedora3 micheal]# rpm -qa |grep php php-pgsql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-ldap-4.3.10-3.2
> php-mysql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-pear-4.3.10-3.2
> php-odbc-4.3.10-3.2
> php-4.3.10-3.2
> php-gd-4.3.10-3.2
> php-ldap-4.3.9-3
>

> Note the 2 versions of php-ldap.
>
> Now I will invoke the archaic command "smart fix" as root
>
> [root at Fedora3 micheal]# smart fix Loading cache...
> Updating cache...               ########################################
> [100%]
>
> Computing transaction...
>
> Removed packages (1):
>   php-ldap-4.3.9-3 at i386
>
> 38.6kB will be freed.
>
> Confirm changes? (Y/n): y
>
> Committing transaction...
> Preparing...                    ########################################
> [  0%]
>    1:Removing php-ldap          ########################################
> [100%]
>
> Saving cache...
>
> [root at Fedora3 micheal]#
> [root at Fedora3 micheal]# rpm -qa |grep php
> php-pgsql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-ldap-4.3.10-3.2
> php-mysql-4.3.10-3.2
> php-pear-4.3.10-3.2
> php-odbc-4.3.10-3.2
> php-4.3.10-3.2
> php-gd-4.3.10-3.2
>
> Viola it is gone.
>
> This can also be done in the GUI, Edit > Check installed packages, will
> give you a listing of anything that is out of sort. and Edit> Fill all
> [...]
----
Good to know - thank. I was aware of 'fix' powers of smart and
obviously, we'll find out how effective these powers are over time.
Smart has 'fixed' some issues for me in the past too.

Of course, there's always the issue of telling someone to install
another package manager to fix the issues they are having.

Craig