Iptables question about peer-to-peer rules

Mark Nixon manixdk at tiscali.dk
Mon Apr 4 17:23:15 UTC 2005

Darn, it's hard to formulate an appropriate subject sometimes.

I have a little peer-to-peer network. I have an ADSL modem and a switch,
to which I have 4 computers connected,

As far as I have been able to suss out, my ADSL modem or my switch  is
assigning the 10.0.* addresses.

I have only one printer, attached to my Linux computer. At the moment,
this is the most logical for my configuration.

I have one computer running Win Me, another running Win XP, a third
running Linux Core 3, and occasionally my laptop running Win XP.

If there's any other info required, let me know.

Up to now, I've been able to use my Linux machine as a print server by
sending the command (as root) iptables -F.

I know this is stupid.

Of course, I want the other computers on my LAN to be able to see, and
use, my share files *every* time.

Which, of course, means that iptables rules should be read in at boot
time.

>From what I've been able to suss out from man iptables, Googling and
reading "Red Hat Fedora Linux 3 Bible" I should do the following:

stop iptables "/etc/init.d/iptables stop"

from the command line "iptables -A INPUT -p ALL -i eth0 -s 10.0.0.0/6
accept"

then I should write "service iptables save"

and then reboot?

This seems a little weird, as 10.0.0.1 is my gateway to the internet.

Shouldn't it be "10.0.0.2/6 accept"?

I'm sorry if this question seems a little clumsy, but I know little of
this subject.

My Linux computer is *not* the Internet gateway, as European energy
costs rule out (for us, anyway) having my Linux computer always running.
Each computer on my LAN should be able to access the Internet
independently.

I would appreciate if answers are not too technical, as I'm sure I know
less than I think I know (-:

Mark