Connect linux PC to linux PC

Richard S. Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Mon Apr 4 18:43:13 UTC 2005

The elder gods, manifesting through jim lawrence, recently decreed:
> On Apr 4, 2005 2:25 PM, Richard S. Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> The elder gods, manifesting through jim lawrence, recently decreed:
>> > I have read a ton of posts about networking windows to linux and vice
>> > versa.
>> > I have a notebook with FC3 I have a desktop with FC3   both resid eon
>> > the same sub-net
>> > I have a foder on the desktop i would like to transfer file to from my
>> > Notebook.  How can I accomplish this feat? What info would you
>> > require? is it simple as mounting the drive on that pc? will i get
>> > read/write access?
>>
>> NFS will work for this purpose, or you could just use FTP or SCP to copy
>> the files from one computer to another.
>>
>> I'll also mention that Samba is a perfectly good candidate for this sort
>> of task; if the Linux drive in question is already shared to Windows
>> computers, then mounting it on another computer is as simple as
>> smbmount.
>>
> Nope this Desktop PC is 100% pure FC3 No more MS in my House (yes my
> wife a convert)
> I proud of her :)
> Or is their a way to do this throught Naultilus ?

I'm not aware of a way to do it through Nautilus without mounting the
remote device first, but I might be wrong.  I'd look up NFS if I were you
(unfortunately I don't have any info right now; I use almost entirely
Samba at home, even for Linux <-> Linux communication since it's just
easier).

An unnecessarily complicated route might be to go with Fuse
(http://fuse.sourceforge.net) and the SSHFS tool.  This would allow you to
mount the remote device to a local mountpoint over SSH.  I just started
playing with it myself over the weekend.

--
Sláinte,
Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)