Connect linux PC to linux PC

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:40:40 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 3:22 PM, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> jim lawrence wrote:
>
> | Is there a GUI for ssh it is running on the Desktop now
> | For me just to connect to it, and maybe browse it?  then copy files to
> | and from ?
>
> If you want this GUI type stuff, you need to install KDE.
>
> | ssh work for this?
>
> ssh itself is mainly used to literally log into a remote machine and get
> a shell.
>
> However it comes with this other program scp, which allows the encrypted
> file transfer action between machines.
>
> So what you can do is
>
> ssh username at hostname
>
> to get a remote shell, where you can use cd, ls -l, and whatever to poke
> around on the remote server to see what is where, and then when you
> identify the file you need to copy, run scp as I described before in a
> second terminal window.
>
> - -Andy

ok I get a timeout error
[jim at JimsNotebook ~]$ ssh jim at 192.169.1.50
ssh: connect to host 192.169.1.50 port 22: Connection timed out
I tried the Pc's name but didn't recognize it Bummer :(
[jim at JimsNotebook ~]$ ssh jim at localhost
ssh: connect to host localhost port 22: Connection refused
[jim at JimsNotebook ~]$

--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813