imap questions (was Re: POP3?)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Apr 5 01:16:29 UTC 2005

On 04/04/2005 03:57:26 PM, Sean O Sullivan wrote:

> I would recommend courier-imap / courier-pop3d / courier-imaps /
> courier-pop3ds
>
> Dovecot is fine for small networks I find (use at home network),
> however for large loads (and in a multi-user environment, where
> quality is important) would use courier, note, courier dirs not
> compatible with dovecot (went to change to see ... and was unable,
> but after further testing decided against it anyway).
>
> I would advise IMAP over pop....much nicer :)
> Although if on slow connections, pop can be handy

I just got sick of how much load SpamAssassin gave to my box while I
was gone for just a few days - and set up a small server that currently
pops my mail via fetchmail, uses procmail to SpamAssassin it and then
sends it to my local workstation.

What I would rather do though is instead of forwarding it to my desktop
account, further procmail it on the server and use imap on the
SpamAssassin box to read it. That way I could set up the necessary port
forwarding through my router and read it through a web interface (like
SquirrelMail) from anywhere.

What I need to know though is how could I integrate my current Balsa
(mbox) mailboxes onto the imap server - so that my past messages will
be available from clients?

Also - how hard is it to configure a web based imap client to send
through a specified smtp as a specified user? I don't want to run my
own smtp and relay (what I use to do) because a lot of servers now
reject messages that are done like that, as they are potentially
spoofed from address - so when sending, it needs to use the smtp of the
mail account provider.

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Michael A. Peters