command lsof

Ben Stringer ben at burbong.com
Tue Apr 5 03:18:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 21:48 -0500, Charles Malespin wrote:
> I am using Gnome... And I have used the CD before and gotten it to
> eject many times before.  I actually got the lsof command working and
> this is what it tells me....
>
> [root at localhost ~]# lsof /media/cdrecorder
> COMMAND    PID     USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE  SIZE  NODE NAME
> nautilus  5352 malespin   27r   REG   3,64 53570 26124
> /media/cdrecorder/DELLNIC.inf

Nautilus (the file browser) still has the file open. You will need to
close the nautilus window that was browsing the mounted CD, then re-run
lsof to see if this line has gone.

> gam_serve 7765 malespin   27r   REG   3,64 53570 26124
> /media/cdrecorder/DELLNIC.inf

GAM is a file change monitor. If this doesn't go away when the nautilus
window is closed, you may need to shut down gam manually, by running (as
root) "kill 7765".

> To explain a little more, I upgraded kernels today and then I had to
> install ndiswrapper again to get my wireless card running.  So I did
> that and the CD that is "stuck" in there had my wireless card's
> drivers on it.  But I copied the driver files locally and ndiswrapper
> should be using them from the folder I put em in.  But it looks like
> its using them from the CD, right?  Does this help explain my
> situation better?
> Charles
>
> On Apr 4, 2005 9:44 PM, David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
> > Thomas Cameron wrote:

> > >It's /usr/sbin/lsof so regular users don't "see" it in their search
> > >path.  If you want to use commands which are typically only available to
> > >root, you can become root from a command prompt by issuing the command:
> > >
> > >su -
> > >
> > >Note the trailing hyphen.  This will allow you to become root
> > >temporarily until you exit the shell.

Actually the trailing hyphen tells su to use the root user's environment
settings, rather than your own, which is important in this case so the
PATH is set correctly. With or without the hyphen, su allows you to
become root temporarily until you exit the shell.

Cheers, Ben

Ben Stringer ===== ben at burbong.com