Files appearing at boot in xinetd.d and rc.d

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Tue Apr 5 04:38:53 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I have this in my rc.local file,

[root at localhost rc.d]# cat rc.local
#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local
/usr/local/bin/snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -i eth0 -g snort

which is supposed to start snort with mysql support. Last Friday it
would hang after initializing snort. I then commented out the line
referring to snort, so as to get the OS to boot and then ran snort from
the cli, which it did with no errors. Someone suggested that the line
needed the D option so snort would run in the background, and hopefully
not hang the boot. I did this yesterday, and then rebooted, and found
that it didn't start at all. I then removed the D again to see if it
gave the same results prior to adding the D option. Rebooted, and
nothing still. No instance of snort trying to initialize and no instance
once the OS is booted. Ok, at this point, I was lost. I then made sure
snort was still installed, which it was(for it not to be woulda been
weird, indeed). I then double checked for snort.conf, which was there(no
different than last Friday). I then went into /etc/rc.d and checked that
rc.local was definitely there, and that brings me to this question. Why,
at every boot, do I get two rc.local files.?

[root at localhost rc.d]# ls
init.d rc rc1.d rc3.d rc5.d rc.local rc.sysinit
ln8 rc0.d rc2.d rc4.d rc6.d rc.local~

Even if I remove rc.local~, it returns at next boot. That I do not
understand, but, it also happens with tftp in /etc/xinetd.d

[root at localhost xinetd.d]# ls
chargen cups-lpd daytime-udp echo hotsmtpd rsync tftp~ time-udp
chargen-udp daytime dbskkd-cdb echo-udp hotwayd tftp time

What is this..? If I have 2 rc.local files, both trying to excute the
same code at boot, does this explain why snort is not appearing..? I'm a
little lost. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.