SOLVED: Microsoft Fax Viewer files

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com
Tue Apr 5 15:13:55 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 03:18, Jim Cornette wrote:
> kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
> > Anyone know of a Linux tool that will read M$ Fax TIFF files. Apparrantly
> > they are not standard TIFF's because the Gimp will not open the file but
> > the m$ fax viewer will. I guess the fools in redmond are trying to create
> > their own standards again.
>
> I believe eog "Eye Of Gnome" should do what you are wanting to open. I
> had success with opening .tif files with this. It rendered the images
> great for my purpose. (Open old scanned in files.)
>
> Type 'eog' and give this program a try.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Work is the crab grass in the lawn of life.
> 		-- Schulz

All;

I tried the eog tool above, ImageMagik and several other tools - the recurring
problem was that the resulting image was too fuzzy to read. I ended up using
th command line tool tiff2pdf and it worked great! The resulting PDF was
clear and as easy to read as the original fax even though there were warnings
about errors in the file.