Fedoraforum.org is now official?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Apr 5 18:34:46 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 12:34, James Wilkinson wrote:
> I've been wondering for most of the day how to put this, but I'm
> disappointed in the Fedora leadership.
>
> Not so much for the decision (although I maintain it was a bad one), as
> for the way in which it was made.

Not much control by the community yet.  :)

> As a result, I'm seriously wondering what on earth I am doing here.
> There are other Linux communities: there are other OSes. I have probably
> been using Red Hat and Fedora as my main distribution for too long.
>
> I am seriously considering switching distributions. (Any recommendations
> for AMD-64? I understand there's a new Ubuntu out tomorrow).
>
> I'd like to hear what you all feel about this. I'll remain subscribed to
> the list for a while, but I doubt I'll contribute much in future.
>
> Thank you all for what you've done. Thank you, Red Hat and the Fedora
> community, for all your technical achievements.

Just because someone proclaimed fedoraforum.org as the "official
support" for fedora does not mean this mailing list is going away.
Unless Red Hat turns it off I expect it to remain just the way it is.  I
just hope this was not a decision based on advertising revenue generated
by web hits.

Recent efforts to publish and distribute a standard list of rules for
this mailing list is IMHO a good thing and should go a long way towards
curbing some of the discussions that have been held here.  It won't get
rid of all such discussions but there will be some authority behind
pointing out the rules if they are moved up one level from unofficial to
official.  A little help from Red Hat in getting this done would be
greatly appreciated.  (hint hint)

As you said this is something like a community.  It is what we make of
it.  As such it would be a shame for people such as yourself to jump
ship for something that won't affect this list that much, unless people
such as yourself jump ship in large numbers.

Personally I find it easier to skim through large numbers of postings in
this format.  I have tried the forum, the question I posted received no
be that the question was on a topic no one over there knew anything
about.  Experience here is that someone eventually responds, but YMMV.
:)

So don't leave for this reason alone.  If there are other reasons then
it may be the right thing to do.  But not for this reason by itself.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Hello...  IRON CURTAIN?  Send over a SAUSAGE PIZZA!  World War III?  No thanks!