SOLVED: Microsoft Fax Viewer files

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Apr 6 00:08:33 UTC 2005

kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 03:18, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>kevin.kempter at dataintellect.com wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know of a Linux tool that will read M$ Fax TIFF files. Apparrantly
>>>they are not standard TIFF's because the Gimp will not open the file but
>>>the m$ fax viewer will. I guess the fools in redmond are trying to create
>>>their own standards again.
>>
>>I believe eog "Eye Of Gnome" should do what you are wanting to open. I
>>had success with opening .tif files with this. It rendered the images
>>great for my purpose. (Open old scanned in files.)
>>
>>Type 'eog' and give this program a try.
>>
>>Jim
>>
>>--
>>Work is the crab grass in the lawn of life.
>>		-- Schulz
>

> All;
>
> I tried the eog tool above, ImageMagik and several other tools - the recurring
> problem was that the resulting image was too fuzzy to read. I ended up using
> th command line tool tiff2pdf and it worked great! The resulting PDF was
> clear and as easy to read as the original fax even though there were warnings
> about errors in the file.

Thanks for mentioning this program. The tiff files that I read are from
pre 1990 and would probably do better as pdf converted files. They are
not faxes, but scanned in files from drawings. The quality was not good
for M$ viewers and the Linux viewer eog seemed to be as good or better
with displaying the files.

You helped me out with improving our existing documents we use. Now if
qcad worked with dwg files, another problem would be solved.

Jim

--
Q: What's the difference between Windows 95 and a highly destructive virus?
A: About 90 MB of hard disk space.