Fedoraforum.org is now official?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Apr 6 02:07:34 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:

>I've been wondering for most of the day how to put this, but I'm
>disappointed in the Fedora leadership.
>
>Not so much for the decision (although I maintain it was a bad one), as
>for the way in which it was made.
>

>SNIP
>
>You know? "Community"? The words that the project website keeps using?
>
>Let me tell you: "community" means "communication". It means
>"consultation". It means at *least* an attempt to come to a consensus.
>Especially on issues that change the status of that community.
>

>Communication has only been one way. There has been no attempt at
>consultation: no attempt at consensus.

James, reading your message prompted me to remember a quotation I read
the other day that was attributed to Harry Truman, "The only thing new
in this world, is the history you did not know."  Because I am a little
familiar with at least part of the historical record that may touch on
Red Hat's decision,
I thoroughly disagree with the notion that the decision to adopt
Fedoraforum.org as a vehicle was unilateral or done without consultation.

There was a rather extensive discussion several weeks back of the
desirability of moving to a web interface for endusers.  I found it an
appalling idea at the time as list exchanges suggested to me that those
subscribers possessing the technical skills to really help out endusers
would be unlikely to populate the web interface subscriber group.  I was
also concerned by the general tone from many of the thread participants
that endusers were really not welcome on fedora-list.

I strongly suspect that the number of endusers moving to linux is
increasing at an increasing rate.  With that in mind, I see the move by
Red Hat to adopt fedoraforum.org as an official forum/vehicle as a
concrete commitment of resources to further development of the linux
desktop market and platform consistent with  continuing support of its
historical technically competent, sys-admin type user community.  They
are apparently willing to provide the bandwidth necessary to support
both the webforum and the mailing lists.  I see nothing to suggest that
mailing lists sponsored by Red Hat have been deprecated in any way.

>The ways that have served Fedora well for technical decisions Will Not
>Do when it comes to a major change to the status of a community. It
>would be charitable to call what happened an oversight, or that the
>people concerned don't have spare time to consult widely. But it looks
>from here like supreme indifference to our opinions and our
>contributions, veering towards contempt.
>
>As a result, I'm seriously wondering what on earth I am doing here.
>There are other Linux communities: there are other OSes. I have probably
>been using Red Hat and Fedora as my main distribution for too long.

I too have been considering a change to an alternative linux.   Fedora
Core development schedules are simply too fast for many endusers.  The
primary reason I have stuck with Red Hat as long as I have is because it
has been relatively easy to do so and there was little to nothing to
gain from switching.  But, the vague impressions I have about FC4 are
not particularly attractive to me as an unsophisticated, technical
neophyte enduser.