Help - can't boot

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Apr 6 06:53:57 UTC 2005

Kevin wrote:

>--- Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
>

>>Kevin wrote:
>>| --- Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com>
>>a python
>>just hangs when
>>out just
>>in that it's
>>services so I can
>>|
>>| Can you <CTRL><ALT><F1> to a terminal and login?
>>|

>>No - it hangs just before it gets to the login
>>screen. CTL-ALT-F1
>>does nothing. I had an older Knoppix CD here, but it
>>can't read
>>the drive with /etc on it... I also have an older
>>ver Linux rescue
>>floppy, but it won't boot...
>>

>At the very first part of the boot sequence, type ¨
>single¨  ie at the boot loader where it says Fedora
>Core2, hit the a key and type in <space> single then
>press enter.  This will boot into single mode and you
>can edit the file from there

Typing I at the beginning of the boot sequence did it. I'd watched that
sequence probably hundreds of times, but I'd never noticed/understood
what 'start service local' meant till just now. That's the command that
obviously executes the rc.local script. I'm back in, now. Thank you
everyone for your quick, helpful advice.

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA