network stalls on Fedora Core 3

Keith Fetterman kfetterman at go2marine.com
Wed Apr 6 23:24:36 UTC 2005

Folks,

I am encountering a random problem where network (100BaseT ethernet)
connections stall when downloading files.  I first noticed a problem
when updating my system using up2date.  I discovered the update process
would hang.

I am now seeing the network stalling when I am downloading a large file,
roughly 41MB, using scp.  The point at which it stalls is random and it
doesn't always stall (but it usually does.) When it stalls, it usually
stalls after 20-30MB have been transferred.

I have Fedora Core 3 installed.  I had originally installed Fedora Core
2 and upgraded to 3.

I have already tried the following:

- different network cable
- different port on the switch
- different network card, including a different type of card

I even changed out the mouse from a ps/2 to a USB.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and how to correct would be
really appreciated.  Or ideas on where to look for troubleshooting ideas.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith Fetterman                          206-780-5670
Mariner Supply, Inc.                     kfetterman at go2marine.com
http://www.go2marine.com