Questions concerning Security Log

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:14:33 UTC 2005

As I'm still new to linux I like to open things and see what they are
/ do. So I opened the KDE System Logs program, clicked on over to
Security logs, and found a bunch of these:

Apr  4 02:15:03 localhost sshd[26567]: Failed password for invalid
user test from ::ffff:219.238.239.10 port 3429 ssh2

and these:

Apr  5 04:47:24 localhost sshd[7287]: reverse mapping checking
getaddrinfo for h169-210-68-8.adcast.com.tw failed - POSSIBLE BREAKIN
ATTEMPT!

and many more like it. Is this something to worry about? Chkrootkit
didn't find anything suspicious, so that makes me feel a little
better, but as I am unable to start firestarter I am a little nervous.

By the way, what is the difference between chkrootkit and chkrootkitX?
They both run in the terminal (I thought that chkrootkitX would open
up in a gui or something).

Is it unsafe to put a copy of the log on my site and post a link to it
here? it spans about 1500 lines, so I do not want to email it to the
list.

Thanks all! You guys have always been so helpful!

Dotan Cohen

http://EnglishLirics.com/
http://Song-Liriks.com/